How to ensure the team support when introducing new ideas?
I have often met excellent ideas, which stays on paper due to incomprehensibility and lack of acceptance from entire team. Very often low managing levels and operators reject the need of change, seeing it only as additional and mindless duties. The most common mistake leading to this, is unsuitable (even missing) communication
First of all senior management should accept that the change could be stable only if entire team support it. Otherwise, it is doomed to regression, immediately after decreasing of the pressure over the system. Once realized it makes decision visible and easy. We need to develop individual communication patterns and measures, for any single level in the organization.
Company X decides to introduce a first level of technical support (autonomous maintenance) in production facilities. Target groups are . Most often the mistake is usage of inappropriate arguments when communicating the need of change. What I mean: continuously rising labor cost, time-shrinking activities of competition, constant increase in spare parts and etc. are not suitable. This will surely be a loss of your and your workers time. The only reason is that the arguments are beyond their interests. In addition they are out of their control, so the benefits remain hidden. As a logical consequence, resistance arises.
Additionally will give some appropriate package of measures. First of all let's think ?
Usually they are:
· Working conditions.
· Payment levels.
· Production quality.
Can we compile an appropriate communication strategy from above? Sure yes
Most of the companies are reducing maintenance teams to the optimal minimum. This allows mainly repair activities. Daily care for all machines is almost impossible. This could be an excellent base for our communication strategy.
What we need is to explain the problem to the team and to clearly show the benefits in case they start to do additional maintenance activities.
And they are:
- Improve productivity - therefore the payment levels. How? By doing first level maintenance they will guarantee continuous work, free from emergency stops. From here - better productivity.
- Here comes the first tool to be used : visual bonus system for productivity - "pay for performance" type. This will motivate the team and will give them sense of control.
- Improving the quality. The principle is the same as above, but the connection is stable machine - better quality.
- And second tool, bonus system for quality.
- Working conditions. I think it is more than obvious: no break downs - clean and safe workplace and etc.
Based on personal experience the above model works perfect for target group. The same individual approach should be applied to any single level in the company.
is to define target groups. to communicate at A-1 level and to control the information campaign to the lower levels. The support for implementation of described tools is also must. The practice shows that by using such a approach it takes about half a year to have an irreversible change.